1. Destroy the picture in your head of how you think its all supposed to be. That picture is an illusion. Listen to me, there is no such thing as the best. There is no such thing as a right way to live. It’s an ideal. You have to execute the model of utopia that you have created in your mind, because how do you expect yourself to live up to an imagined place where everything is perfect? You do not want set yourself up for failure. There is not a right way to live and there will never be a right way to live. Once you destroy that illusion of the perfect way to live, you will be much happier.
2. You were born with the ability to say ‘yes’ to things, which means you were also born with the ability to say ‘no.’ Remind yourself this.
3. There will be times when nothing about yourself makes sense. We’re all strangers to ourselves. There are times when it is okay to question everything about our life because we are constantly changing. Instead of letting these times breed into loneliness, give yourself the ability to let these times provide you with strength.
4. It will always be okay to love yourself. Never let anyone tell you differently.
5. Just because other people may have it worse, doesn’t mean your problems are not valid. You are allowed to be upset. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.
6. Liking the cafeteria food at school does not make you weird. I promise.
7. People might tell you your love for a band or for a celebrity or for a certain song is a phase. They will probably be right. But it is important to find the things that bring you joy and to become an enthusiast about everything you love. If you are intrested in something love with everything you have. Love things passionately and wholeheartedly. Don’t compromise your love for something because of what other people say. If it makes you happy, embrace it with open arms.
8. There’s no such thing as a good side. “You will find someone that doesn’t want clean-cut, someone that wants the misfits - the bad tattoos and regretful smiles and tattered shoes and fading purple hair. Someone who wants the sick and twisted backstories; the bloody hangnail and the extra shot of tequila and the dirty guitar pounding out of a back-alley club; the broken hearts and the lives going nowhere and the lost eyes.” People are full of imperfections which end up turning into such interesting photographs.
9. When people sense that they are being heard, they will always give you something worth hearing. Any time you talk to anyone about something that they love they’re their most beautiful. Never put someone down while they’re telling you about something they love. It’s a really cool gift to get to talk to people about that.
10. I want you to find someone that fills you with light. Be with someone that makes you laugh until milk is squirting out of your nose. Be with someone who falls in love with the way your nose is a little crooked at the end. I hope that in your lovers’ eyes you see raindrops falling down out of your childhood window. I hope that in your lovers’ arms you smell fireplaces and apple cider, and that you feel at home. One day you will find someone to love that reminds you that home is not a place, but that home is a feeling. But most importantly, I hope that your first love is yourself.
You’ll miss someone like me. Someone that’ll drop everything for you. Someone that’ll do anything to make you smile. Someone that’ll cross distances to see you. Someone that understands why you are the way you are. Someone that’ll always be honest with you. Someone that’ll never ask you to change. Someone that accepts all your flaws. But most importantly you’ll miss the love someone like me has for you- someone like me whose love is true.
Damn it’s late and I know you’re probably sleeping but the words in my head are keeping me awake.
Awake with memories of you and what we used to do. The laughs we shared and the way our spirits kindled.
I can go on and on about the past. But that’s just it, the past.
It’s a part of life to move on and that’s just what I’ll do. Even if it singes my soul I know that I’ll have to.
But for now it’s still late and I still miss you. I’ll probably go to bed because these thoughts are better off laid to rest.